Legal and patents translation
The legal norms in each country are closely related to the culture and traditions of this country, so legal translation is a rather difficult task. The main feature of legal texts in any language is archaic vocabulary and grammar. In many respects, this is due to the fact that the adopted legislative norms are subject to a minimum of changes. In addition, in many countries the age of recorded laws can amount from 200 to 300 years. On the other hand, due to this feature, many stable constructions have the same stable equivalents in other languages, which greatly facilitates the task of translator. The main difficulty is the transfer of various socio-political and cultural features of legal forms. Thus, for example, translating a power of attorney into a foreign language requires knowledge of certain cliches, the grammatical forms of which may seem incorrect to the modern person.
Legal translation refers to one of the most complex types of translation. This translation is one of the most popular types of translation for business as well. It includes the translation of treaties, charters, various agreements and other documents, without which it is impossible to conduct business in the modern world. In addition to linguistic training, the translator must have extensive knowledge of law, understand the current legislation and be fluent in legal terminology of both languages. The main requirement for the translation of legal documents is thoroughness and accuracy, since mistakes in the translation of legal documents may cost too much. As well as thoroughness and accuracy, successful implementation of the translation involves knowledge of specific legal terms, phrases and clichés. Business dealings, which as usual take place globally, are issued in English. Usually for such deals, the translation of documents is required to be implemented as fast as possible.
Legal translation - this is the case when one wrong word can cause irreparable harm. The translator is obliged not only to accurately convey the meaning of the contract or other document, but also to save the values of specific legal terms, cliches, formulations.
Translation of patents is quite an up-to-date translation task. Patents - an integral part of the activities of modern companies that are engaged in the development and introduction of various devices and technologies and are striving to become patent owners not only in their home country, but also at the international level. The most diverse items and devices are patented, which are commonly called "devices" in the strict "patent" language, as well as methods for their production and use - from door handles and cigarette packs to industrial power plants.
In general, a written patent translation consists of three disciplines:
- translation of patent requests for inventions, utility models and industrial designs, descriptions of patents, requests for the registration of trademarks and service marks, requests for the registration of geographical indications and for registration of computer programs and databases;
- translation of correspondence during the expertise of requests by the Patent Office;
- translation of documents related to patent disputes.
Experience in working with patents makes it possible to formulate several rules that should be followed while translating them:
- Terminology. At the very beginning of the translation, it is necessary to clearly define the terminology. Various online resources, publish banks or libraries of patent documentation can help with it. There is possible to find similar devices and check the validity of certain expressions in a particular field of technology. The accuracy of the term used may affect the level of patent protection.
- Glossaries. During the work with the patent documentation, a glossary of common terms must be created that can be used in any patents. It is also necessary to create a separate glossary for each patent, since a single terminology should be used within a single document.
- Drawings. An obligatory condition for an adequate translation is the use of the attached drawings. If there are no drawings, the customer has to provide them. First of all, the translator himself must have a clear idea of the invention described. Often without drawings this is impossible.
- The structure of the patent. It is necessary to clearly realize the structure of the patent document and the requirements for its sections:
- title of invention;
- sphere of the invention;
- description of the prior art (invention prerequisites, prototypes created before, their critical evaluation, as well as the rationale for the new invention and its purpose);
- brief description of the invention;
- description of the drawings;
- detailed description of the invention;
- formula of invention.
This structure is typical for almost all patents.
- Formula of invention. Special requirements are made to This one. Each paragraph of the formula must fit into one sentence, regardless of its length and complexity. In this case, it is necessary to use the constructions "different in that" as applied to the device or method in order to pick out its distinctive properties.
Our company provides legal translation services in the fields of association and devourment, dispute adjustment and civil litigation, arbitration auditions, corporate law, environmental law, antitrust legislation, real estate law, European law, disputes between creditors, tax and accounting laws, insurance law, international and patent law.
We guarantee a qualitative, highly professional translation, taking into account the lexical, stylistic, grammatical and spelling features of a particular foreign language and the specificity of the terminology of the text given, as well as careful formatting and editing of the original document.
Our team consists of translators with many years of experience, including native speaking translators. Some of the translators with whom the bureau cooperates are practicing lawyers.
We employ only experienced translators and editors who are native speakers of a foreign language. These specialists have experience in law or have higher legal education in addition to higher linguistic education. Also, our translation agency cooperates with practicing translator-lawyers.
For many years, our agency has been a professional partner for many companies and individuals, providing high quality services.
We work with a wide range of legal documents:
- laws and regulations;
- contracts, agreements;
- legal memorandums;
- corporate documents of legal entities;
- licenses and patent documentation;
- tender documents;
- certificates, powers of attorney, notarial documents;
- other legal documents.
Request a quote or information about our services and solutions.