It is impossible to implement a qualitative localization without linguistic testing. Whichever product it is - a website, software, game or mobile application - to get a good result, it's not enough just to translate the lines in the resource files to the desired language. At the final stage of localization, test translators need to carefully and attentively perform something else - testing integrated into the translation system.
After the localization of the software, including a mobile application or game, work on it does not stop - the next thing to do is linguistic testing. This service allows users to enjoy quality localization of the product, rather than a set of letters.
Linguistic testing is the procedure for verifying a translated program. Not only literacy is tested, but also the correct display of the text (for example, too long lines that get out of the window).
After the translation, the texts are downloaded to the software to check whether they are correctly loaded and correctly displayed, whether windows, buttons and other elements are superimposed on each other, whether there are no untranslated segments, how much the text corresponds to what the user sees on the screen, and also there is a check for the presence of spelling, grammatical and other types of errors.
Types of linguistic testing
- software linguistic testing;
- localization testing of mobile applications on iOS and Android;
- sites linguistic testing;
- testing of games.
Varieties of linguistic testing:
- full localization testing;
- cosmetic testing.
The process of linguistic testing is as follows:
- After the localization, the program goes to test translators for the check they get a clear technical task with information on how to find all available texts.
- Then the tester scans the window by window, checking all the texts (including error messages, tips, help pages, etc.)
- If the tester found an error, he opens the translation file and makes corrections. In addition, he must put it in the bug-list, which will be shown to the client so that he can see the number and types of errors.
- If the error is associated with long lines that do not fit into the window, translators join the process to help by looking for a shorter version of the translation. Or programmers change the size of the window.
Linguistic testing solves at least three problems
First, such testing allows finding lines that do not fit in the elements of the interface: menus, buttons, pop-up windows. After all, the length of words in different languages is significantly different. In addition, the font size for the hieroglyphs should be increased so that all the inscriptions were clearly distinguishable.
The second task of linguistic testing is to check the correspondence of phrases to the context. Most often, this question arises during games testing: does the translation match with the game situation in which the user is immersed? After all, the translator worked with resource files and saw only a list of lines, even with comments and screenshots. Therefore, there were something that could not be translated. Often, there are such mistakes as incorrect gender in the games, repeated units, incorrect name of objects. The same situation with software: for example, the popular and polysemantic word Rate - does it mean a bet, exchange rate or a verb in general? Thus, these are the moments that need to be found and worked out.
Third, it is needed to check how the texts of the interface are displayed in one or another language version of the operating system. This will help to identify and eliminate possible problems with text encodings - for example, incorrect display of special characters in different languages (letters with superscripts, symbols with umlauts).
What are the difficulties of localization of software products?
- Low level or lack of knowledge of the localization language. It is impossible to know a lot of languages and absolutely all the features of different cultures for software tester.
- Limited understanding of the logic of product functioning. It is important to fully understand the details of the functioning of the system to perform a qualitative test of the application or system, no matter if its productivity testing or usability testing.
- A limited understanding of the methods of localizing products. The theoretical basis is an indispensable part of the effective implementation of each process. This applies not only to the IT sphere.
- A large number of test cases. The process of product localization involves the execution of different test cases. This is a rather laborious and complicated process. Often, a whole team of testers is working on the localization of products.
To effectively implement the localization of products, specialists need to have enough practical skills and deep theoretical knowledge. It is highly important for testers to constantly work on improving their professional level.
Three secret of successful linguistic testing
Secret one: linguistic testing can be significantly simplified and speeded up at the translation stage. This will be possible to do with use of the maximum automation of the translator's work - using modern computer technologies and cloud platforms. They give the opportunity to several translators and editors to work on the project at the same time, and also allow using of translation memory.
The second secret: it is important to correctly draw up a technical task for linguistic testing, in order to simplify this work as much as possible and to make sure that everything is checked and calculated.
Secret three: linguistic testing should engage professional translators, native speakers. Ideally, only the native speakers should perform the translation.
Our testing services guarantee the trouble-proof operation of any software, sites and multimedia solutions in all languages, at all operating systems, browsers, channels and devices, without costly delays and potentially dangerous failures.
Our specialists of linguistic testing are able to take the most difficult tasks, quickly divide them into main components and apply special techniques that ensure the successful localization of an infinite number of applications and software. Our software localization specialists have extensive technical knowledge and understand the urgency of their work during creating a program configuration, resizing dialogue boxes, searching for and fixing errors, controlling the software version, creating test procedures or simply taking screenshots. As a result, the client gets the most comprehensive solution for localizing software.
Our service uses the best industry techniques and advanced technologies to facilitate and automate all stages of software linguistic testing. High quality of works is guaranteed at all stages of our software localization process - from initial selection of material and extraction of elements for localization to their backward export and final testing of multilingual software versions.
Request a quote or information about our services and solutions.